1. First, find a film still or scene that deals with one of the topics listed below.
2. Discuss the still or scene as it relates to one of the topics listed below
3. Write up a paragraph of 4-6 sentences summarizing your discussion.
Here are the topics:
In regards to themes, you might consider writing about the following thematic binaries:
- West (Texas, the birthplace of Jordan “Bick” Benedict) vs. East (Maryland, the birthplace of Leslie Benedict)
- Old money (Benedicts) vs. new money (Jett Rink)
- Men vs. Women (Gender roles)
- White vs. Brown (White Texans vs. Mexican Americans, or Chicanos)
- Cattle ranching vs. oil drilling (two different models of Western economic development)
In regards to the formal element of acting, you could write about
- Differences in acting styles (Rock Hudson vs. James Dean)
- Gender differences in acting (Rock Hudson vs. Elizabeth Taylor)
- The importance of the placement of actors, props, and/or makeup to acting and characterization