For your writing exercise today, you can write about the film of the week, Giant, or the main topic of the week, Acting.
This is supposed to be the rough draft of the first paragraph (the Film Analysis) of your blog response post assignment for this week. The idea is to focus on the motifs and formal elements in the film. You might want to focus particularly on the formal element of acting in Giant.
If by chance you were unable to view all or any of the film, you can instead work on the second paragraph (the Main Topic Focus) of your blog response post assignment. This would entail responding to the textbook chapter(s) assigned for this week (since I have not yet posted anything). This assumes that you did the reading assignment for this week, which is due today (Wednesday).
In regards to themes, you might consider writing about the following thematic binaries:
- West (Texas, the birthplace of Jordan “Bick” Benedict) vs. East (Maryland, the birthplace of Leslie Benedict)
- Old money (Benedicts) vs. new money (Jett Rink)
- Men vs. Women (Gender roles)
- White vs. Brown (White Texans vs. Mexican Americans, or Chicanos)
- Cattle ranching vs. oil drilling (two different models of Western economic development)
In regards to the formal element of acting, you could write about
- Differences in acting styles (Rock Hudson vs. James Dean)
- Gender differences in acting (Rock Hudson vs. Elizabeth Taylor)
- The importance of the placement of actors, props, and/or makeup to acting and characterization