For your group exercise for this week, first compare notes in the group (mention what you just wrote about in class), then pick one of the three prompts below to focus on, then stream the film to find examples of what you’re discussing, and then write up a paragraph of 4-6 sentences summarizing your discussion.
1. Discuss how one or two of the following functions as a theme or motif in The Shining:
- work (and by extension, business and capitalism)
- the natural (world)
- the supernatural
2. Find and discuss an example from The Shining that shows how one of the four components of mise-en-scène was used to introduce or support a theme or themes.
Here are the four components of mise-en-scène (according to your textbook):
- The Human Figure (placement; costumes and make-up)
3. If you’re ambitious, you can pick one of the fifteen conspiracy theories regarding The Shining (see the The Shining Film Clips blog entry) and find visual evidence in the mise-en-scène (the four components of mise-en-scène are listed above) that supports or debunks that theory.