For your in-class writing assignment today, choose ONE of the prompts below and write a paragraph of 4-6 sentences.
1. Discuss how one or two of the following functions as a theme or motif in The Shining:
- work (and by extension, business and capitalism)
- the natural (world)
- the supernatural
2. Find and discuss an example from The Shining that shows how one of the four components of mise-en-scène was used to introduce or support a theme or themes.
Here are the four components of mise-en-scène (according to your textbook):
- The Human Figure (placement; costumes and make-up)
3. Are the chills and thrills in The Shining just meant to scare the viewer? Or is Stanley Kubrick trying to make a larger, more artistic, even philosophical statement with the ghostly apparitions in the film? What might that statement be?
4. In the way it swoops and swerves, the camera in The Shining is almost a character in itself. With his invasive and omnipresent camera-work, is Kubrick trying to say something about the role of the film director and/or the function of film in the modern world?
5. What kind of acting do we see in The Shining? Are there different styles of acting in conflict?