As usual, for your group exercise I would like you to meet with your group, briefly discuss what you wrote during the in-class writing assignment (your ideas about your paper), then stream the film of the week to find significant scenes to examine and discuss together.
Don’t bother writing up a paragraph summarizing your discussion. But do have someone take notes or otherwise be responsible for summarizing your discussion for the rest of the class when we re-group at the end of the class period.
This week the film is Apocalypse Now (Redux) and the topic of the week is sound design, so I would like you to find something interesting in the film that deals with sound design.
It would be even better if you could relate the use of sound to one of the major themes in the film.
1. War vs. Peace (specifically the Vietnam War)
2. Barbarism vs. Civilization
3. Rationality vs. Irrationality (Insanity)
4. East (Asia) vs. West (United States)
5. 1960s-1970s Counterculture (sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll)
Or focus on a particular song on the soundtrack:
- “The End” by The Doors (beginning of film)
- “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” by The Rolling Stones (on boat)
- “Suzi Q” by Dale Hawkins (also covered by Creedence Clearwater Revival) (Playboy Bunnies CSO show)
- “Surfing USA” by the Beach Boys (Clean sings it a cappella on the boat)