Here are a number of controversial topics that you can write about in the argument paragraph of your blog response post assignment for this week. Choose one of the five options below for your argument.
1. As I presented in class, Casablanca is a mash-up of various genres. That is, in terms of genre the film is a hybrid. Does this make Casablanca
a more conventional and less artistic film?
a more artistic and less conventional film?
2. Your textbook authors argue that a genre is characterized by conventions based on the narrative (the structure of the story), style (the visual look), and themes (themes, motifs, big ideas). In Casablanca, which takes precedence (which do you see more of)
(Whichever you choose, be sure to find an example or two from the film to support your contention).
3. A number of critics see Casablanca as a propaganda film, in that it urges American involvement in World War II (before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in December 1941, there was a very strong isolationist sentiment in the United States). Also, the film was rushed to movie theaters to capitalize on the Allied (Americans, British, Free French) invasion of Casablanca in late 1942. Based on this information, make the case that
Casablanca is truly a propaganda film, but one that artfully incorporates this into a story of romance and suspense
Casablanca is not a propaganda film, but rather a film that capitalizes on current events to sell tickets, which lessens the artistic impact of the film
4. In classical Hollywood films, the male protagonist usually struggles with issues of independence – with the question of whether or not to get involved. In classical Hollywood films, the female protagonist usually struggles with issues of dependence – with the question of whether or not to stay involved. With this in mind, make the case that
Casablanca epitomizes the conventional gender roles in Hollywood
Casablanca subtly challenges the conventional gender roles in Hollywood
5. In its simplest definition, genre is a system for classifying films. But who is genre for? Is it more important for